History

Year Milestone
1920 The Salesmanship Club of Dallas is formed and its mission of helping young people is established.  First President, Woodall Rodgers, sets the tone by saying the Club should “do good without being stuffy about it.”
1921 The Salesmanship Club Recreation Camp for Orphan Children opens at Bachman Lake on July 25, 1921.  It is conceived, funded, built, dedicated and occupied within a span of 90 days.
1943 The polio epidemic results in the closing of all recreational camps.
1945 The Club opens Camp Woodland Springs in southeast Dallas.  It is the first year-round residential therapeutic camp in the country – combining camping and education.
1957 Relocating the camp to a more rural area, Salesmanship Club Boys Camp opens near Hawkins, Texas.
1965 The success of the Camp, combined with Wilderness Road, written by Camp director Campbell Loughmiller, inspires the creation of similar camps in the southeastern part of the country.
1968 Golf legend Byron Nelson lends his name to the Salesmanship Club’s professional golf tournament.  This PGA TOUR event evolves into the Club’s primary source of revenue.
1976 The Club opens a new residential treatment camp, Salesmanship Club Girls Camp, near Palestine, Texas.
1983 The Club makes its first foray into education when it opens a day treatment school for emotionally disturbed students in Dallas. Committing to documented results and continuous program improvement, the Club makes a major investment in research and evaluation. 
1987 In an effort to assist more kids and families, the Club begins offering outpatient family therapy.  The Momentous Institute moves its main office to Oak Cliff, making services more accessible to low-income families.
1990 Boys and Girls Camps are consolidated into the Salesmanship Club Youth Camp at the Hawkins’ site.
1995 The Reunion Institute is founded, boosting the Club’s work in training mental health professionals.
1997 The Club’s education program shifts to working with younger students with the opening of the J. Erik Jonsson Community School, an enriched, accredited laboratory school for low-income students in the Oak Cliff area.
2000 Following a successful capital campaign, the Club’s Oak Cliff campus, including Meadows Family Center and J. Erik Jonsson Community School, is dedicated.
2004 In response to the changing needs of kids and families, the Club closes the residential treatment program at Salesmanship Club Youth Camp.
2006 The Club opens a new campus in northwest Dallas, providing a range of therapeutic services to at-risk children and their families. In an effort to improve science education in inner-city schools, the Club launches “Science Goes to Camp” and brings thousands of students and teachers to the Camp property each year.
2011 Following a successful capital campaign, the Club purchases the northwest Dallas campus and, at dedication, names it the Constantin Center.

Calendar | News Room | Contact Us | Site Map