Are you an educator interested in visiting the J. Erik Jonsson Community School? We welcome tours and the opportunity for your team to observe:
- Optimism in action
- Teachers who focus on engaging, brain-based teaching and learning
- Powerful relationships among the students, teachers, parents and community
For more information, please contact Karen Norris at 214-915-1868.
When you visit the Jonsson School, you may recognize that our work borrows from that of many others. We’re proud of our collaboration with many other noted schools and educators including:
- Jay McTighe, experienced educator and accomplished author. Jay has visited and worked with us several times to write Understanding by Design (UbD) units of study for all grade levels.
- Judy Willis , noted classroom teacher and neurologist, has worked closely with us as we’ve created a brain-compatible curriculum. She visited in 2009, and presented on “Increasing Student Engagement, Motivation and Memory using RAD Neuro-logical Strategies.”
- Marc Meyer, the Hawn Foundation. Our collaboration with Judy led to our learning about Marc Meyer, the Hawn Foundation and their MindUP curriculum. Our school has long been invested in the importance of social and emotional learning. Marc visited in 2010 and kick-started our formal incorporation of these elements into our school. Having now implemented the MindUP curriculum at our school, we’re seeing positive repercussions from our three year-olds all the way through to our fifth grade, as well as to our parents and teachers.